What is the Professional in Practice Framework?
The Professional in Practice (PIP) Framework is designed to enable social workers to engage in learning and development using their practice experience, knowledge and skills which they can then convert into submissions for assessment. The PIP Framework:
- recognises all learning both formal and informal;
- offers flexibility and autonomy;
- places practitioners in charge of their own professional development;
- supports social workers to maintain their post registration training and learning (PRTL);
- supports social workers to continue to reflect, learn and develop throughout their careers.
Mandatory Two Requirements
Following successful completion of the AYE a further condition is placed on social workers’ registration requiring them to complete a minimum of two Professional in Practice Requirements through the Professional in Practice Framework – the Mandatory Two Requirements.
Completion of the Mandatory Two Requirements is relevant to all social workers who have completed the Assessed Year in Employment (AYE) on or after the 1st April 2011.
This means they must complete a minimum of two Requirements within the Professional in Practice Framework in order to renew their registration with the Northern Ireland Social Care Council.
More Information and Guidance
Click on the tile below to access the PiP digital guide providing more guidance and information about:
- the PIP Framework;
- how to enrol and get started;
- the Mandatory Two Requirements;
- PiP routes to achievement including: Approved Programme Route (APR), Individual Assessment Route (IAR), Credit Accumulation (CAR) and Work-Based Learning Route (WBLR);
- PiP Awards including: NI Consolidation Award in Social Work, NI Specialist Award in Social Work, NI Leadership and Strategic Award in Social Work and NI Advanced Scholarship Award in Social Work.
See Associated Resources for quick access to the most up-to-date key guidance documents and forms including: PiP Requirements and Handbooks, PiP Agency Representative Contact List, PiP Approved Programmes, IAR Handbooks and IAR Submission Booklet.