Social Care Worker’s and Social Worker’s Post Registration Training and Learning (PRTL) is a priority for the Social Care Council to ensure the provision of quality social care and social work services for the public and to ensure workers are safe and competent to practice.
PRTL also provides benefits for registrants and employers, strengthens skills within the profession and enhances public confidence in social care and social work.
What is Post Registration Training and Learning (PRTL)?
Continuous learning and development throughout your career is essential in building your confidence and practice as a social care worker, manager and social worker. It supports you to:
- improve the service your provide;
- develop and enhance your job skills, knowledge, behaviour and practice;
- keep up-to-date with developing practice, legislation and policy;
- provide evidence that you have met the Standards of Conduct and Practice.
Social care workers, managers and social workers must undertake and record a minimum of 90 hours of continuous learning and development during each registration period – this is called Post Registration Training and Learning (PRTL).
Standards of Conduct and Practice
The Standards of Conduct and Practice are binding on all social care workers and social workers and require you to be accountable for your learning and development as follows:
Standard of Conduct 6:
- You must be accountable for the quality of your work and take responsibility for maintaining and improving your knowledge and skills.
Standard of Practice 6:
- As a social worker, you must develop yourself and others.
- As a social care worker, you must develop yourself as a social care worker
Renewal of Registration
At the end of a registration period (3 or 5 years), registrants must renew their registration with the Social Care Council. When registrants renew their registration they are asked to:
- Confirm that they have undertaken the required 90 hours of PRTL;
- Pay a registration renewal fee;
- May be called for PRTL audit
A registration period is as follows:
- 5 years for a social care worker and senior care worker;
- 3 years for a social care manager and social worker.
Go to Registration for more information on fees and registration renewal.
Each year the Social Care Council audits a random sample of registrants. This means at your renewal point you could be asked to submit an audit submission form. This is why keeping a record of your learning is important, and keeping up-to-date with emails or texts from the Social Care Council.
Learning Zone Resources
The Social Care Council have developed a range of digital learning resources to support registrants continuous learning and development. These include reflective learning scenarios and questions that have been developed to allow registrants to evidence their learning including registrants’ Post Registration Training and Learning requirements.
It is important that registrants discuss and share their completed questions with their mangers during supervision or team meetings. Go to Learning Resources to find out more.
More Information and Guidance
Click on the tiles below to access digital guides providing more information on PRTL requirements for social care workers, managers, social workers and PRTL Audits.
See Associated Resources for quick access to key guidance documents and forms including: PRTL Guidance for Social Care Workers, Managers and Social Workers, Audit Submission forms and examples of audit submission forms.