Grief and Bereavement
Grief is the normal process of reacting to a loss. Social care workers play an important role in supporting and caring for people who are experiencing grief and bereavement.
This learning resource is for social care workers who are supporting and caring for people who are affected by grief and bereavement and work in settings where people may die. It will support social care workers and managers to:
- Understand and recognise normal and appropriate grief responses.
- Be aware of the needs of dying and bereaved people and the role you have in supporting them.
- Have an awareness of bereavement information and support that is available.
- Understand the importance of delivering compassionate and respectful care at end of life and into bereavement.
- Understand the importance of and what contributes to good communication at end of life and afterwards.
- Understand the personal impact of loss, grief and bereavement and the importance of self-care and personal resilience.
- Know how to avail of support if you have concerns about your wellbeing.
The resource was funded by the Department of Health to meet gaps identified in training around death and bereavement.
The resource was developed in partnership with a content reference group consisting of representatives from each of the 5 trusts (BHSCT, NHSCT, WHSCT, SEHSCT, SHSCT,) CRUSE, Marie Curie, Hutchinson Care Homes, Clinical Education Centre and Health and Social Care Board whose expertise supported the NISCC to develop a comprehensive learning resource.
The videos were produced in partnership with Slackpress Productions Ltd.
NB: This resource has been developed to support the Social Care workforce. It can also be used by all Social Care Council registrants, health and allied health professionals, families and carers and anyone supporting/caring for people who are experiencing grief and bereavement.
If you need any help/support using this resource, please contact the Social Care Council. Click here to provide feedback.
Scroll down and click on the Open Adapt Module to access the resource.
The resource works best when launched from Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Safria web browsers.
Subtitles are available for all videos.
Published 2 June 2021
Launch of Grief and Bereavement Lunchtime Seminar - 7 December 2021
The Grief and Bereavement resource was launched on 7th December at the Resourcing Northern's Social Care workforce to support grief and bereavement lunchtime seminar.
Click here to view the lunchtime seminar presentations.