Child Development App 0-6 Years
Mobile App designed for social workers, social work students and early years professionals working with/supporting children aged 0-6 years. It can also be used by parents and other health and social care professionals. (Updated Oct. 2018). Winner of husITa Best Human Services App Award 2017.
The App was first developed in 2013 in partnership with UU (Professor Mary McColagan) and QUB (Dr. Anne Campbell) content authors and the Child Development App Steering Group convened by NISCC. This steering group included input from social work, early years and education professionals and the DHSSPSNI. The App is part of a series of three Apps which won the husITa Best Human Services App Award 2017.
The App has been updated in 2018 with the assistance of content author Dr Anne Campbell, QUB and colleagues within the DOH and EANI. This App is the first in a series of three Apps (7-12 and 13-18 years).
The App allows learners/users to:
- Access information and pertinent video links in relation to child developmental milestones.
- Utilise theoretical frameworks, via succinct knowledge summaries, video links and hyperlinked references to enhance an understanding of child development and its relevance to practice.
- Draw on significant legislation and policy relevant to work with children and families in NI.
- Utilise and reflect on pertinent case studies which are based on realistic scenarios in practice.
- Critically reflect on social work / early year’s observational skills and knowledge.
- Make decisions based on evidence whilst on practice placement or within the work setting.
- Enhance your professional competence in relation to decision making, based on observations and assessment of child development.
- Understand the impact of child neglect on child development.
If you have an iPhone/iPad, you can download this app free from iTunes using the link below.
If you have an Android smartphone/tablet, you can download the app free from the Google Play store using the link below.
If you need any help/support using this resource, please contact NISCC.